Raspberry PI / Linux compatibility

The place to discuss development topics.
Discussions on the RICOH R API and SDK, image processing of spherical images, other hardware related topics, introduction of useful libraries, etc.
sigma0815

Unread post by sigma0815 » June 28th, 2017, 8:33 am

Hi all,

we just received the Ricoh Theta R and tried to get it to work with a Raspberry PI 3 running the latest Raspbian Jessie Release. Unlike the Theta S, there is no immediate recognition as UVC device. Does this have anything to do with lacking UVC 1.5 support of the Raspberry Pi (http://lists.theta360.guide/t/state-of- ... -h-264/899)? Should it work with Linux machines which have the UVC 1.5 Kernel patches?

toshi3221

Re: Raspberry PI / Linux compatibility

Unread post by toshi3221 » July 10th, 2017, 8:03 am

The Latest version 4.9 of Linux kernel has supported UVC1.5, but H.264 codec has NOT suppored yet :(
Although the RICOH R was recognized as a video class device as follows, it's not able to use as the web camera because the output format of RICOH R Development Kit has H.264 only:

Code: Select all

[ 73.786875] usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 10 using dwc_otg
[ 73.927932] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=05ca, idProduct=2713
[ 73.927944] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 73.927952] usb 1-1.4: Product: RICOH R Development Kit
[ 73.927960] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: Ricoh Company, Ltd.
[ 73.927967] usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: XXXXXXXX
[ 73.929359] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.50 device RICOH R Development Kit (05ca:2713)
[ 73.929500] uvcvideo: No streaming interface found for terminal 3.
However it is able to access as a video device by libusb, etc. It is possible to get video data from the camera directly to use them.

codetricity

Unread post by codetricity » July 22nd, 2017, 4:44 pm

Is it possible to change the output of the RICOH R Dev Kit with firmware to support UVC 1.1 motionJPEG @ 720p, similar to the RICOH THETA S?

I think that for production broadcast use, it's fine to use HDMI output with a $700 encoder like the Teradek VidiU or the Cerevo LiveShell X, but many developers want to use Linux to build both low-end and high-end devices.

Understandable that the lack of UVC 1.5 H.264 support in Linux is a Linux kernel problem and not a RICOH R Dev Kit problem, but it would be cool to have some path forward for people that want to use Linux for development.

The low-end devices are often built with Raspberry Pi units and the high-end units are built with normal x86 Linux servers.

I heard that RICOH has some prototype devices that work with the Raspberry Pi.

Another example from a different group

While Mac and Windows support is great, the devices are more expensive than a Raspberry Pi or embedded device OS. Also, if the camera is going into a server, then some developers like to use Linux on servers.

I was recently talking to a developer at FujiXerox PAL that was working on this project, which uses Linux.

https://worldviews.org/cherryblossom

He can use the THETA S by stitching the spheres together, but was interested in something like the RICOH R Dev Kit, but he would need to use Linux.

CoraDias

Unread post by CoraDias » April 27th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge BSD isn't strictly Linux, but like Linux is a UNIX-like operating system. So it's close enough for the purposes of this list, as FreeBSD is available to install and is known to be fully compatible with the Raspberry Pi 2 and partially compatible with the Raspberry Pi 1 model B boards.

pcb assembly house

Michaelgop

Unread post by Michaelgop » July 1st, 2018, 1:35 pm

I installed the OpenHome Player just now on Raspberry Pi. It involved a few Linux command line operations but not very complicated. If you are interested, PM me and I will send you a brief manual tomorrow.

/HansBertil

Michaelgop

Unread post by Michaelgop » July 6th, 2018, 1:31 pm

WPS Office is an excellent office suite for Linux. Moreover I too think it is very useful if you can have a plan to develop an Equation Editor for the Linux version...

catscantswim

Unread post by catscantswim » August 3rd, 2018, 2:41 pm

If we talking about linux, it's not the best platform to do add and web development - you better stick to some standard platforms like Windows. If you really need some development in this area, you can reach https://fortuna-it.com/web-development- ... velopment/ to do some outsourcing project development, they are good at it.

DunnPenny

Unread post by DunnPenny » October 19th, 2018, 5:05 pm

Hi....i think the changes for Pi that are not yet merged into the official kernel release are all very clean and stable. The default kernel is right now 4.14.z, but you can also try out the current 4.18 release kernel together with the Pi changes from.

printed circuit board